Updated: Mar 10
Hormone imbalance. Ugh! I'm speaking from experience. These imbalances are caused by fluctuations in our hormones; primarily, estrogen and progesterone. As we age, both decrease causing all types of symptoms including hot flashes, weight gain, anxiety, and many more. We must help our hormones stay in balance with proper nutrition first and foremost.
Bonus information: If you eat meat, you may be getting unwanted hormones. Reduce meat consumption and make sure you eat clean, free-range, wild-caught or grass-fed products.
Here is a list of foods to incorporate into your daily eating plan.
1. Organic berries: strawberries, blueberries, blackberries. and raspberries
2. Organic leafy greens: spinach, kale, chard, bok choy, mixed greens (sorry, iceberg doesn't count) 3. Organic lentils
4. Organic hulled barley
5. Organic black beans
6. Organic chickpeas also known as garbanzo beans
7. Organic cruciferous vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage
8. Organic seeds: pumpkin, chia, hemp, ground flaxseed, sunflower (these should be raw and unsalted)
9. Organic spices: turmeric, cayenne and ginger
10.Organic mushrooms (rich in phytochemicals that inhibit production of certain enzymes that promote estrogen)
Do you see a pattern here? Most everything listed is high in fiber. We need fiber to bind to the excess estrogen that gets recycled in our bodies if the liver doesn't flush it out. Wait! I thought estrogen was declining. It's kind of a weird paradox. Estrogen is declining but it can also not be eliminated properly and end up lingering in our systems too long causing us to have more estrogen than progesterone--thus, estrogen dominance and hormonal imbalance. Fiber binds to estrogen and flushes out the excess properly.
Hormone imbalance is no fun but it can be managed better with a great diet!
Have a great day and live on purpose!