I know, I know! Keto is all the rage and we are supposed to be eating lots of healthy fat, right? Yes and no. About 25% to 33% of the population have a high Lipoprotein(a) number that causes our blood to be sticky. This increases the chance of heart attack five times the normal risk. We need to manage our LDL and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke. Cooking without oil is one of the ways to control it.
Here are five tips:
1. When you encounter a recipe that says, "saute in oil," use water or vegetable broth instead. Vegetables like onion, garlic, peppers, and others saute well using this method.
2. When baking, replace an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce for oil. If the recipe calls for 1/2 c. of oil, use 1/2 c. of applesauce instead.
3. Use flaxseed meal to replace up to 1/4 c. of oil in recipes. You need to use it in a 3 to 1 ratio. If your recipe calls for 1/4 c. of oil, replace it with 3/4 c. of flax meal.
4. When making salad dressings, high-fat tofu, nuts or avocados may be used to get the creaminess you are used to compared to oil. It is much different and healthier to use whole unprocessed foods containing oil than using processed oils from a bottle.
5. When baking, instead of using oil or sprays to grease your pans, try parchment paper or food-grade silicone bakeware.
Cheers to healthier eating!